The Independent interview with Christopher Kane


My secret life Christopher Kane, fashion designer, 26Interview by Charlotte Philby


The home I grew up in ... was a bungalow on a main road. It was a big place, and as I was quite spoiled, I always had lots of good stuff. We always had two boxer dogs in the house; when one died, we'd replace it immediately.

When I was a child I wanted to be ... I didn't know what a fashion designer was, but I was always in the art room at school and drawing dresses and models from catalogues.

The moment that changed me for ever ... Moving to London. I'd just turned 18, and went from a small Scottish village to the middle of Soho. It was quite an eye opener.

My greatest inspiration ... are the people I work with on a daily basis, or even people I see on the street. It changes regularly.

My real-life villain ... is the problem of getting my design ideas realised – the perils of production and the lack of time, which seems to disappear in front of eyes.

My style icon ... is Carine Roitfeld [editor-in-chief of French Vogue], and Helena Bonham Carter in recent months. She is an eccentric and doesn't care what people think. I like that she wears what she wants. Plus, her husband [Tim Burton] is the best film director ever.

If I could change one thing about myself ... I would have more self-control. I always regret over-eating. And if I could change two things, I'd have more patience as well.

At night I dream of ... When I'm working on a collection, I dream that I'm wearing my garments. Last season, it was a sequin dress. I become a bit crazy in my dream world. I live and sleep my work, it's constant and tiring.

What I see when I look in the mirror is ... someone who is worn out.

My favourite item of clothing ... is a Comme des Garçons jacket. It's from Tokyo, and elegant and durable, with a funny texture. I particularly like suit jackets with a soft tailoring.

I wish I'd never worn ... as a child I wore crazy Benetton jumpers. My sister and I had matching outfits, and I looked like a kids' television presenter. The photos remain.

It's not fashionable but I like ... trainers. Women wear trainers on their way to work before switching to heels, which looks strange and weird in some ways. I see them on the tube all the time, and while it is really wrong, there is something good about it.

You wouldn't know it but I'm very good at ... blowing glass.

You may not know it but I'm no good at ... being told what to do.

All my money goes on ... shoes, brogues particularly. I probably have five pairs of Church's, which I've bought in the last year.

If I have time to myself ... I try to catch up on work from home. If I'm not working, I'm working. But I do make time for simple things, like a nice cup of tea with biscuits.

I drive ... taxis mostly. I'm scared to ride a bike on London streets, and cannot drive.

My house ... needs decorating. It's big but cosy, and at the moment it's really messy with bin bags lined up in the hallway.

My most valuable possession is ... friends and family. I couldn't live without them.

My favourite building ... is the Prada store in Tokyo. It's like a spaceship.

Movie heaven ... I love rom-coms, and any cheesy Walt Disney movie. I like escapism.

A book that changed me ... a collection of Picasso works, which I read at college. His drawings are something I always relate to. You might not think it, but his work creeps up in my designs each season.

My favourite work of art ... anything by [the painter] Sas Christian.

The last albums I bought/downloaded ... were Cyndi Lauper's latest, Bring Ya to the Brink, and the soundtrack to the movie School of Rock.

The person who really makes me laugh ... Myself. I always find myself laughing alone.

The shop I can't walk past ... I love office- supply shops. I go into any of them, no matter how bad the shop looks. I like pencils, pens, dividers, staplers. I want the perfect office.

The best invention ever ... Tipp-Ex – I go through bottles. It's the ultimate quick-fix when I'm designing a new piece.

In 10 years' time, I hope to be ... living and working in the fashion industry.

My greatest regret is ... not buying a pair of patent, navy Jil Sander sandals last season.

My life in seven words ... emotional sometimes, fun, and scary for sure.

A life in brief

Born one of five children in July 1982 in Bellshill, Motherwell, the womenswear designer Christopher Kane won New British Designer and Scottish New Designer of the Year in 2006. He lives in Dalston, east London, with his partner Declan. His Bombay Sapphire Couture glass is available now at Selfridges

Comments

Disclaimer

☝︎

Smile Blog does not claim ownership of any image/ content displayed. All articles are the personal opinions of The Smile Blog. Any external image/ content used will be credited accordingly. If you're the owner of the image/ content, and want it to be removed, we will gladly do so or have not credited you properly. Contact us

FTC: Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click links and make purchases via affiliate programs we are apart of.

This site uses COOKIES to deliver its services. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. Learn more



Reader's Favourites